of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever – Music by and inspired by soundtrack produced by Ryan Coogler, Ludwig Göransson, Archie Davis and Dave Jordan will be released on November 4 by Roc Nation Records/Def Jam Recordings/Hollywood Records. The soundtrack is available to Pre-Save/Pre-Add/Pre-Order here. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, directed by Ryan Coogler and produced by Kevin Feige and Nate Moore, opens in US theaters on November 11, 2022.
Rihanna‘s lead single “lift me up” makes history this week as it becomes the most added song in US radio history, amassing the most spins of the day and the largest audience ever.
of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever – Music by and inspired by The soundtrack features over 40 international artists recorded in Lagos, Nigeria, Mexico City, London and Los Angeles. Featured artists include Rihanna, Tems, Fireboy DML, OG DAYV Ft. Future, CKay Ft. PinkPantheress, E-40 and many others.
Ludwig Göransson, who has two Emmys, two Grammys and an Oscar, composed and produced both the score and the original songs on the soundtrack. His extensive work producing artists (Childish Gambino, Adele, Haim, Justin Timberlake) as well as his work scoring films and television series (Black Panther, CREED, The Mandalorian) made him uniquely qualified to run both parts of the soundscape.
For their fourth cinematic collaboration, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Coogler and Göransson set out to create an innovative soundscape where Göransson says, “The songs and the score are one.” The two artists have talked about this approach since their days attending USC film school, and finally made it happen. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.
In what became a massive labor of love, Göransson spent over 2,500 hours recording the score and soundtrack – spanning six studios, across three continents and five countries. During the course of the film, the audience will hear over 250 musicians, two orchestras, two choirs and over 40 vocalists.
Coogler was intimately involved in creating the music for the film, from co-writing the lyrics to Rihanna’s “Lift Me Up” to suggesting the singer’s cover of Bob Marley’s “No Woman, No Cry”. Nigerian singer-songwriter Tems and Bridge along with Kendrick Lamar’s “Alright” for the film’s instantly viral trailer.
Göransson said, “Ryan and I talked about the importance of creating an immersive audio and sound journey. If we used a song in the film, we wanted it to be the whole song and tie into the story. Thematically, we wanted to move the audience from grief to celebration. When you listen to the soundtrack, you can close your eyes and relive the experience of the movie. That was the goal.”
As the story is inspired by Nigerian and Mesoamerican cultures, recording sessions took place in Lagos, Nigeria and Mexico City, Mexico, as well as Abbey Road Studios in London. The producers worked with popular artists from Lagos, including Tems, which has become a hotbed of musical innovation. Additionally, new rappers and artists from Mexico City are featured on the soundtrack, including rapper Pat Boy, who raps entirely in Mayan.
While in Mexico City, Göransson worked closely with music archaeologist Alejandro Rojas to explore and research Mayan music. Instruments native to both Nigerian and Mesoamerican cultures were featured in the creation of the soundscape.
of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever –Music From and Inspired By track list follows:
- Lift me up Performed by Rihanna
- Love and Loyalty (Trust) Performed by DBN Gogo, Sino Msolo, Kamo Mphela, Young Stunna AND Busiswa
- Alone Performed by Burna Boy
- No Woman Nor Cry Performed by threads
- Árboles Bajo El Mar Performed by Vivir Quintana AND Mare Advertencia
- Con La Brisa Performed by Foudeqush AND Ludwig Göransson
- life Performed by Snow Said Product showing E-40
- INTERFERENCE Performed by Storms
- Return To You Performed by Fireboy DML
- They want it, but no Performed by Tobe Nwigwe AND Fat Nwigwe
- Laayli’ kuxa’ano’one Performed by ADN Maya Colectivo: Pat Boy, Yaalen K’uj, All Mayan Winik
- Limoncello Performed by OG DAYV showing The future
- Anya Mmiri Performed by CKay showing PinkPantheress
- rouse Performed by Bloody civilian showing Rema
- panther Performed by Alemán showing Rema
- crest Performed by DBN Gogo, Sino Msolo, Kamo Mphela, Young Stunna AND Busiswa
- Inframundo Performed by Blu Rojo
- No Digas Mi Nombre Performed by calle x vida AND Foudeqush
- Mi Pueblo Performed by Guadalupe by Jesús Chan Poot